Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Pie in Old Blighty

Today is National Pie Day. Not that I ever need incentive to think about pie, but this sanctioned celebration of all things pie got me to pondering the best pie I've ever had.

How would I decide? I love pies. All sorts of pies. If given a choice between pie and cake, I will always take the pie. Sifting through memories of flaky crusts (or maybe dutch crumbles), coconut creams and sweet-tart cherries, my decision was much easier than I had imagined. The best pie I ever had was in early September 2001 in London, England. Traveling alone, and having walked until I was exhausted, it was dark, and I was lost. A warm glow from down the street led me to a neighborhood (unknown) restaurant. Not a pint-filled pub of my colonist dream, just a (very) plain neighborhood restaurant.

There it was on the laminated menu. Apple pie. I'm always keen to not eat traditionally American food while traveling, but my blistered feet and throbbing loneliness demanded the comfort of pie.

It wasn't the crust (too thick) and it wasn't the filling (too gelatinous) and, although I did enjoy the pool of creme anglaise it was plopped on top of, it was strictly its state of pieness that makes it the best pie I've ever had.

The best Chinese food I've ever had was in Rome. But I'll save that travel tale for National Chinese food day.

-- Clear Plastic Bag

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the best (yet probably the worst) apple pie (in retrospect, maybe it was streudel) i ever had was in berlin after a month-long backpacking trip. ahhh, memories. fun post.